- Can you implement changes to create a truly personalised experience for people with severe and enduring mental illness and at the same time have a 20% reduction in costs?
- Can you make a fourfold increase in the number of people getting early support for common problems of mental health with a modest injection of extra money?
- Can you reduce demand by removing eligibility criteria?
The London Borough of Lambeth has shown how. The Council and Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) are prepared to do things differently. With providers also prepared to work together, they have demonstrated the power of collaboration.
- So far 75 people have moved into new accommodation and away from long term rehabilitation centres
- New entries into residential care have been reduced by 67%
- The numbers of discharges from residential care have increased by 30%
- Towards the end of the second year, the running costs for this cohort of people have met the target 23% reduction.
This case study appears in the Nesta Co-production Catalogue. Read all about it also on the Ideas Hub: http://ideas-hub.org.uk/ideas-hub/case-study-lambeth-living-well-network/